Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to the most of your questions
How much does a website design cost?
- Number of Pages: While we don’t charge per-page, a 50 page website requires more work than a 5 page website. Larger websites also require a bit more planning to achieve a user-friendly navigation and site structure.
- Special Functionality: Anything beyond a standard contact form typically requires a custom quote. Examples include e-commerce, membership websites, extensive forms, and customer login sections.
- Overall Look: While we certainly bring our design expertise and experience to the table, it’s helpful to share example websites you like so we can better understand your tastes. Depending on how well established and polished your brand identity is, additional work and creation of assets may be required to achieve the desired result.
How long does it take to design a website?
While it depends on the scope of the project, a typical brochure style website design takes about a month to complete.
What is the website design process?
- Organize: We begin by collecting your materials including a page outline, text for each page, and any images you have (logo, headshots, etc). We then organize those materials into your client folder and create a project in our project management app.
- Design: We design the homepage and 2-4 additional pages to establish the new look and layout. This process usually takes about 2 weeks.
- Review: We send a screen recording to show what the new design looks like, point out notable features, explain design choices, demonstrate what it looks like on mobile devices, and ask questions in context. We also send a link to the development website to use as a basis for your feedback.
- Revise: Once the initial design is approved, we get back to work designing the remaining pages and applying any revisions based on your feedback. Once revisions are complete, we’ll notify you to take another look at the development website for any final revisions or approval to launch.
- Launch: We perform a pre-launch checklist including tasks like initial Search Engine Optimization and responsive testing. We then launch the website and perform a post-launch checklist including tasks like setting up Google Analytics and submitting your sitemap to Google Search Console.
How does billing work?
A website design project typically requires a 40% deposit to start, with the remaining due upon delivery. After launch, maintenance is billed on an as-needed basis at the hourly rate ($26/hour). Charges are added to an invoice which is sent at the end of the month. The balance is due in full on the 15th.
Are there ongoing charges?
There are no ongoing maintenance charges unless we are performing a requested service. Of course as with any website, hosting and domains typically have monthly or annual charges involved as those are required for a website to run.
How much does hosting cost?
What is web hosting?
Web hosting is an account on a server which stores your website and serves it to the public. If you host through Herophy, you’ll be granted full access to your server account at launch.
What content management system (CMS) will be used?
We use WordPress exclusively as the basis of designing and maintaining your website. WordPress is the most popular website design platform due to its combination of making it easy for a non-web designer to make simple edits while offering the flexibility for web designers to customize and extend the look and functionality to meet almost any need.
What other software is is used?
For graphic design, we use the full suite of Adobe tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. For web design and development we use the Adobe suite for the graphics, the Elementor Pro page builder for layout and design, and a text editor when we need to dive right into the code.
What programing languages do you use?
Any other questions?
If you have any other questions about the web design process, don’t hesitate to contact us – we’re happy to help out!